A few programs that I install after installing Peppermint:
- Uninstall Transmission, install Deluge as it has more controls / settings. If your ISP does not like torrenting, you might have to click on "use random port" so that every time you start the program a different port is used. I reached a point on Mweb, where my torrents ran so slow that they basically weren't downloading any more.
- Uninstall all music players. Then I install VLC. I am experimenting with Clementine, but I don't like stuff that catalogs my music collection. In VLC I can click on Open Folder, and as my mp3 albums are in their own folders this works good enough for me.
- Install Shutter for screen shots and remove the other screen shot tool. I like Shutter more because of all the different settings.
- Install Multiget, as a download manager, because having Telkom as my ISP means that I randomly loose connection and my downloads fail. Multiget has a huge icon in the start menu, something I need to find out how to fix.
- Install Skype and Teamviewer, because I use these sometimes.
- Install Audacity, I edit audio files and this works great.
- Install Liferea, as Google Reader is shutting down.
- Install LibreOffice, which is excellent.
There was a time when I worked a lot with fonts, and installed FontyPython. This time round I haven't gotten around to working with fonts yet. At the moment I am trying to learn Scribus and Gimp, I found some good tutorials at ShowMeDo. They have tutorials for lots of different open source software.
Share the list of things you do after a fresh install in the comments.