Friday, February 25, 2011

Conky


I love system monitors (I use Statbar in Windows XP) and I really enjoy looking at all the numbers and stuff go by.


Type sudo apt-get install conky in a terminal window and you will have conky installed. It is small, text based and works well without draining the resources on my eeepc.

Here is my .conkyrc script (it is a hidden file in the home folder)

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont HandelGotD:size=8
xftalpha 0.5
update_interval 2.0
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_color black
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 170 5
maximum_width 195
draw_shades no
draw_outline yes
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
default_color green
default_shade_color white
default_outline_color black
alignment top_right
gap_x 5
gap_y 5
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
format_human_readable yes

TEXT

SYSTEM ${hr 2}
PC Name: ${alignr} ${nodename}
User Name: ${alignr} ${user_names}
CPU: ${cpu cpu0}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu0 8,60}
${cpugraph F57900 FCAF3E}
CPU Frequency: ${alignr} $freq MHZ
CPU Temp: ${alignr} $acpitemp degrees
RAM: $memperc% ${alignr}${membar 8,60}
SWAP: $swapperc% ${alignr}${swapbar 8,60}
Uptime: ${alignr}${uptime}
Battery: ${alignr}$battery_short

PROCESSES ${hr 2}
Running Processes: $alignr $running_processes
Running Threads: $alignr $running_threads
$alignr PID CPU
${top name 1} $alignr ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1}
${top name 2} $alignr ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2}
${top name 3} $alignr ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3}
HDD ${hr 2}
Root: ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,60}
Partition Size: ${alignr}$fs_size
Free Space: ${alignr}$fs_free

NETWORK ${hr 2}
Up: ${upspeed eth0} kb/s ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth0 8,60 F57900 FCAF3E}
Down: ${downspeed eth0} kb/s ${alignr}${downspeedgraph eth0 8,60 F57900 FCAF3E}
Upload: ${alignr}${totalup eth0}
Download: ${alignr}${totaldown eth0}
Local Ip: ${alignr}${addr eth0}

This script is a mix of things I found from another person's conky file (a great coder borrows code, not steals it) and stuff that I added later. It is not perfect, more like a work in progress. The eeepc has a very small screen and it's not always possible to do what you want to with it.

Do you use conky? Or a similar / different program?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tienie
    I am a Cape Town user of Ice (Acer Aspire One ZG150). Having encountered similar problems to yours (desktop not being saved, icons, etc) I'll have a go at using some of the fixes you have outlined. Very valuable. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I could help, I still want to try out the new Peppermint Two.

    I don't know many South Africans who use LinusGlad to hear I could help, I still want to try out the new Peppermint Two.

    I don't know many South Africans who use Linux

    ReplyDelete