Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting started with Peppermint ICE

I installed Peppermint ICE on Saturday 19 02 2011.

I used a Windows tool called Unetbootin to create a Linux startup / install disc from the Peppermint ICE CD that my friend Henry gave me. It installed rather quickly. The 4 GB HDD in my eeepc 704G is now an ext4 drive and Peppermint lives there.

The first problem I had was that the desktop would not sit, it would change every time I unplugged a flash drive (which I was unmounting wrong) or when I restarted.

To fix it: go to the folder /home/username/.config/pcmanfm there are two files and a folder there. Delete the file that is not main.peppermint-ice , I think the file has "backup" in it. I can't check it now as I have deleted the file and emptied the rubbish bin.

How irritating: Not having my desktop wallpaper stick as very irritating, I give it 5/5

The next problem I had was that there was no "arrange icons" option when I right click on the desktop.

To fix it. Right click on a file then check "stick to current position" then right click it again and click on "snap to grid" do it for every icon you have on the desktop. The icons you add after this should be right, but there is no guarantee.

How irritating: Very, a desktop with icons not lined up looks horrible, I would rather not have not have icons on my desktop that icons littered willy-nilly all over the place. I give it 5/5.

Next time we take at look at more problems, more questions more irritations and more solutions. "Ithink I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

No comments:

Post a Comment