Friday, February 25, 2011

Running Windows programs on Linux

I need to run a few Windows programs. Programs like Corel Draw or E-Sword do not have versions (that I know of) on Linux.

I have tried wine before, and after installing E-Sword and setting the resource folder (so that it could load the other Bibles, etc.) I was left with an empty window which was pretty much useless.

Enter PlayOnLinux you install the debian package, which installs wine and a few others things with it. I double clicked on the E-Sword install file and it worked. E-Sword installed and worked perfectly. Instead of installing each package, I copied the installed files from someone else's E-Sword installation folder (Windows PC) and copies them to my wine/e-sword folder.

Finding that folder was a different story as clicking on Menu > Wine > Browse C: does not work. Here is the location:

/home/tienie/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/e-Sword/

Substitute your username for tienie and you should have it. I can not tell you how happy I am to finally be able to use E-Sword in Linux. There are a few minor bugs, but at least it works, and it works well enough for me to get done what I need to do. Not being able to run E-Sword has been one of the key reasons I have formatted and re-installed Windows XP, now it is no longer necessary.

What are the Windows programs that you cannot live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment