It's controversial because some users feel that it's now "too easy" to load up your SD card; while others feel it's great for first timers and are all for it. Regardless what you feel about it there are people who appreciate it.
How to use NOOBS:
- download a 1.1 GB zip file from here
- formatting your SD card with this tool
- check that the SHA-1 checksum of the download is: bdb61930b077dcefd22b36caaa9698bdf76b290d
- (if you don't know how to, click here)
- Unmount the SD card (open File Manager / PCManFM (LXDE distros), click the eject button next to your SD card)
- put it in your Raspberry Pi and boot into the graphical user interface
- follow the prompts
Have you used NOOBS? Are you for or against it? Leave a comment and share your opinion with the world.