Friday, July 12, 2013

Raspberry Pi week ends

Here are some things that I noticed while using the Raspberry Pi, that might make your life easier:

  • If you are using RC leads, get a set that has a 3.5mm audio plug on the one side and a Red / White plug on the other. This way you can use the audio in the TV, instead of connecting it to speakers.
  • Get a powered USB hub. 2 USB ports is not enough (for me). Put the 4 port hub underneath the Raspberry Pi and use it to power it (if you have a nice, short Micro USB cable). Having a powered HUB means that I could use my USB hard drive (that has only a USB cable for data and power) with it. I had to use my brother's HDD, which has a USB cable and a power adaptor. Having extra USB ports means that you can connect a WIFI dongle, etc. as well.
  • Get a fast SD card. Running an operating system off a Class 4 card is very slow. Get at least a Class 10 (or higher) card. 
  • Get at least a 4 GB SD card. Although you also get smaller Linux distro's for the Raspberry Pi, having a 4 GB or larger card gives you more options.
  • Get a few SD cards. Having a few cards, means that you can load one card with Pidora, another with OpenELEC and a third with Rasbian. It's no fun having to reload the same card over and over. This is one of the greatest things about the Raspberry Pi, it can go from one use to another in under a minute. 


These are just a few things that I discovered in my short time with the Raspberry Pi. Feel free to share your experience and tips in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment